The Older Adult Mental Health Services Program is part of Santa Cruz County Health Services Agency's Behavioral Health Division.
"To support and maintain individuals
at the highest level of independent function possible."
They are staffed with a psychiatrist, older adult crisis specialist and care coordinators. Assistance is available 8 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday in a variety of settings, including private homes, residential care facilities, nursing homes, acute hospitals, senior centers, facilities for the homeless, and other settings. 24 hour crisis contacts are made by calling (800) 952-2335.
The Older Adult Mental Health Program provides the following services:
- Clinical services to older adults (over 60) with serious and persistent mental challenges and complex medical problems.
- Mobile assessment and treatment for Santa Cruz County residents, adults 60 years and older with acute mental health problems.
- Authorizes and oversees the provision of mental health services to Santa Cruz County Medi-Cal recipients meeting medical necessity criteria and serves those at risk of psychiatric hospitalization or in need of mental health treatment.
- The Adult Protective Services (APS) is responsible for dependent, abused, dementia or Alzheimer's related problems, or self-neglectful adults.
Crisis Services include:
- Information and referral for all county seniors
- Mental health assessments and consultation
- Crisis counseling and intervention
- Medication evaluation and monitoring
- Evaluation for hospitalization/partial hospitalization
Psychiatrist monitoring includes:
- Physician referral for medication consultation and/or treatment for seniors on medicare and/or Medi-Cal.Short and long-term assessment and medication monitoring.
- Assessment for probate and LPS conservatorship.
Care Coordination includes:
- Assists seniors diagnosed with a major mental illness to maintain the highest level of independent function possible.
- Assists with socialization and life management skills.
- Assists to access other community supports.
- Offers liaison and advocacy.
- Interfaces with family and other supports.
- Medication monitoring.
- Monitoring of individuals on LPS Conservatorship.
Services are billed to the individual's insurance, such as Medi-Cal or Medi-Caid.